Friday, 26 July 2013

Cultural Flows and Reality TV.




 
According to Albrow (cited in Rantenen 2005) globalisation refers to “all those processes by which the peoples of the world are incorporated into a single world society, global society.”

Although a broad definition, Albrow’s definition is very similar to the way that I view Globalisation. In my opinion Globalization means the formation of one blurred culture rather than an array of individualistic cultures. When combining Albrow’s academic definition and my own opinion one idea that keeps recurring is that of reality TV and the influence it is having on the flows of dominant culture.


I myself am a reality TV junkie, and am quite happy to admit it. From Geordie Shore to Australia’s Next Top Model to Keeping up with the Kardashian’s the mind numbing, yet addictive format of reality TV gives me a huge amount of entertainment. Yet when analysing these shows closely it is actually quite easy to see just how huge of a factor these shows have become in reference to globalisation and the flows of culture. 

Stetka (2010) wrote an interesting article on the format of reality TV and discussed how these shows have become one of the most ‘widespread and successful forms of media entertainment’ and are filling the ‘prime time on TV stations in countries with very diverse cultural backgrounds’. The culture of reality TV is becoming embedded in our society. Utter the name Kim Kardashian and I guarantee nobody will say ‘who is that?’ yet why is she really famous? Eddie McGuire made ‘Who Wants to Be a Millionaire’ famous in Australia, yet this show originated on British television and has been sold to 79 different countries demonstrating just how widespread reality TV has become.

Language is another effect of the cultural flows of reality TV. Most notoriously the ‘Guidos’ of Jersey Shore and the ‘Geordie’s’ of Geordie Shore (both infamous MTV prodigies) have seen an array of slang, which was unheard of before these shows went to air, become integrated into our language as well. This has even prompted people to make videos explaining slang from these shows, just in case you weren’t sure already what a ‘grenade’ is.




Whether you like reality shows or you don't you can't deny their involvement in the flows of culture and globalisation.



References:
Stetka, V. 2005, Globalization, Reality TV and Cultural Inclusion: the Case of the 2005 Czech Search for a Superstar.

Rantanen, T. 2005, The Media and Globalization, Sage, London.

Waisbord, S. 2004, Television and New Media, Sage.


Images:
Both received through Google image
 
https://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1252&bih=554&q=reality+tv&oq=reality+tv&gs_l=img.3..0l10.55.3267.0.3437.17.17.0.0.0.0.320.2184.7j5j3j1.16.0....0...1ac.1.22.img..8.9.550.NhU-gmkfPB8#hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=keeping+up+with+the+kardashians&oq=keeping+u&gs_l=img.3.0.0l10.63269.64931.2.65748.9.6.0.3.3.0.409.1244.1j2j1j1j1.6.0....0...1c.1.22.img..2.7.661.b2K9ti-A8Mo&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.49784469,d.dGI&fp=417cb3040352eac&biw=1252&bih=554&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=GWKAtjCDgB8oSM%3A%3BithHUkr47DpqSM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.bubblews.com%252Fassets%252Fimages%252Fnews%252F1749714995_1371957994.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.bubblews.com%252Fnews%252F702134-watch-keeping-up-with-the-kardashians-season-8-episode-4-free%3B1280%3B1024 

https://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1252&bih=554&q=reality+tv&oq=reality+tv&gs_l=img.3..0l10.55.3267.0.3437.17.17.0.0.0.0.320.2184.7j5j3j1.16.0....0...1ac.1.22.img..8.9.550.NhU-gmkfPB8#hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=reality+tv+stars&oq=reality+tv+stars&gs_l=img.3...4663.5418.0.5711.6.6.0.0.0.0.36.36.1.1.0....0...1c.1.22.img..5.1.36.DVxpAEPd_UQ&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.49784469,d.dGI&fp=417cb3040352eac&biw=1252&bih=554&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=iEpH2rpST-Q7JM%3A%3BX7aBgjxOMYHS-M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fcreoleindc.typepad.com%252F.a%252F6a00d8341c5e0053ef0168e91ac4fe970c-800wi%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fcreoleindc.typepad.com%252Frantings_of_a_creole_prin%252F2012%252F03%252Freality-tv-stars.html%3B387%3B302 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jaime,

    Good to start off with the definition of globalisation straight away to set up the perimeter of your argument. I also thought it was great that you also elaborated what YOUR views on globalisation were, and how Rantenen’s definition coincided with yours.

    You set up some pretty good points regarding cultural flows and how reality TV shows have influenced our society. You’re right – everyone does know who Kim Kardashian is but has no clue to what she actually does (apart from having Kanye West’s child). You talked about “language” as one of the cultural flows of reality TV and mentioned the Jersey/Geordie Shore jargon – while not insinuating that this has dominated our everyday speech (I have yet to hear someone say “fresh to death”, “pulled a worldie”, “GTL” etc.) there are definitely people who would watch these shows, understand these terms and “connect” with other viewers (like I’m doing right now)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jaime,

    I really like how you included your view on what globalisation is. In fact, I very much agree with your definition that globalisation means "the formation of one blurred culture rather than an array of individualistic cultures."

    Although I do not watch Australian TV much and haven't watched any of the above reality TV shows you mentioned, the names of the shows actually ring a bell. I've heard of it countless times. No doubt, everybody does know who Kim Kardashian is but doesn't really know what she does. And you're very right about how reality TV shows affects the cultural flows of globalisation! I can't agree more.

    ReplyDelete